Sunday, November 11, 2007

Reason #2

The second reason for starting this blog, is in the hope that someone else like me out there in the world, will be helped in some way by my testimony. Maybe someone else is doing what I was doing a year or so ago, trying to figure out why their life doesn't seem to work, and why they are having the same old problems with relationships and life.

And maybe this person will Google some blogs, and mine will pop up, and they can read and know that there are other people out there just like them, and that there is a way out of the same old patterns of failed relationship, failure and disappointment. Out of addictions and feeling alone, like we are different, and no one understands. Like we will be shamed or hurt or rejected if we bring our feelings about the abuse to the light of day. Out of the personal jail that we as abused people keep ourselves in.

Any form of child abuse is a horrible plague on our society. One that is truely a silent killer of souls, and of lives. Just because you physically survived an abusive childhood does not mean that you are free from it's affects. The affects last years, decades, a lifetime, if it is kept hidden away, and not addressed.

And how do you address it? First, by REALIZING that what happened to us when we were children (and many times continued into adulthood) was NOT normal. And it WASN'T our fault. We were taught wrong. That is the biggest, most time consuming step, in my opinion.

If you can identify with this, there is all kinds of help to free yourself from the prison... to be free of the chains that bind. Seek help... from a support group, literature, church, a therapist. They are all resources that I have used to help me understand. The healing, that we must do on our own, but it can be done... you can be free.

Imagine the life that you wish you had... it can be yours, and it WILL be yours someday. But the first step is the toughest, especially for us shame based people... To ask for help.

- Steve

1 comment:

Enola said...

When I was in that first step - recognizing and admitting the effect the abuse had on my life - I thought I'd never survive it. Then came part two - dealing with what I had done with the abuse. Dealing with the self-destructive behaviors I adopted. I again thought I'd never make it through that part. Now I'm in part three (I pray this is the final part) where I'm dealing with figuring out who I am now, reconnecting with feelings, and moving forward. I get bogged down for days and weeks on end, but I keep reminding myself that there are others out there who have made it. Thanks for being part of the online community that is sharing their journey. I look forward to reading more.